Nov 12, 2015

"You Are Special"

If you haven't ever read the book "You Are Special" by Max Lucado, you should. If you haven't read the book since you were little, read it again.

My mom always read this book to me growing up and I never fully understand or accepted the meaning behind it until the other day. I mean, I remember the meaning behind it but, I never fully understood.

This past week I read this book to the Pre-Language kids I teach and boy did it hit me hard and reminded me of something: You should NOT allow people's opinons/views of you or what you do either negative or positive affect how you act. Do your best, be proud of who YOU are. In the whole entire world there is no one like you. You are special.

If you don't remember exactly how the story goes, I'll give you a little summary. The story is about the Wemmicks who are small wooden people carved by a woodworker named Eli. He lived on the top of the hill that over looked their village. They had stars and dots that they would give out to each other. They would give stars to those who had perfect paint, who could run really fast, jump high, and anything that was "amazing". However, they would give dots to people who couldn't do all that and who had chipped paint.

There was one Wemmick named Punchinello. He tried very hard to be like the other Wemmick's who had stars all over them, but he never could. People would give him dots just because. But, one day, he met a Wemmick that had no stars OR dots on her at all. The other Wemmick's would try to give her stars or dots but they just would not stick at all. Punchinello was amazed and asked her how she became like that. She told him that it's easy, ever day she went to go see Eli up on the hill in his workshop. He decided that night, as he watched other Wemmick's giving each other stars and dots, that it wasn't right and was going to see Eli the next day.

When he arrived, he could barely see the top of the workbench. The stool was as tall as he was! He then shouted out that he wasn't going to stay here anymore! But then he heard a voice...

(excerpt from the book):

"Punchinello?" The voice was deep and strong. Punchinello stopped. "Punchinello! How good to see you. Come and let me have a look at you."

Punchinello turned slowly and looked at the large bearded craftsman. "You know my name?" the little Wemmick asked.

"Of course I do. I made you." Eli stooped down and picked him up and set him on the bench. "Hmmm," the maker spoke thoughtfully as he inspected the gray circles. "Looks like you've been given some bad marks."

"I didn't mean to, Eli. I really tried hard."
"Oh you don't have to defend yourself to me, child. I don't care what the other Wemmicks think."
"You don't?"
"No and you shouldn't either. Who are they to give stars or dots? They're Wemmicks just like you. What they think doesn't matter, Punchinello. All that matters is what I think. And I think you are pretty special."

Punchinello laughed. "Me, special? Why? I can't walk fast. I can't jump. My paint is peeling. Why do I matter to you?"
Eli looked at Punchinello, put his hands on those small wooden shoulders, and spoke very slowly.
"Because you're mine. Thats why you matter to me."

Punchinello had never had anyone look at him like this - much less his maker. He didn't know what to say.
"Every day I've been hoping you'd come," Eli explained. "I came because I met someone who had no marks."
"I know. She told me about you."
"Why don't the stickers stay on her?"
"Because she has decided that what I think is more important than what they think. The stickers only stick if you let them."
"What?"
"The stickers only stick if they matter to you. The more you trust my love, the less you care about the stickers."
"I'm not sure I understand."

"You will, but it will take time. You've to a lot of marks. For now, just come to see me every day and let me remind you how much I care." Eli lifted Punchinello off the bench and set him on the ground.
"Remember," Eli said as the Wemmick walked out the door. "You are special because I made you. And I don't make mistakes."

Punchinello didn't stop, but in his heart he thought, "I think he really means it." And when he did, a dot fell to the ground.

(end excerpt)

This story reminded me of how we should see ourselves, as children of God. God loves each and every one of us. We shouldn't care what others think of us because does it matter? No! The more we trust God's love and how he see's us, the less we will care what others think of us. The happier we will truly be. We are all special to him and that's all that matters. There is not one person that is going to be like us, and thats what makes us special. We matter to him and we should remember that what others think of us doesn't matter because we are all just people. There will be people in your life that may not like you and may say rude things to you, but what they say shouldn't matter. Your self worth should not depend on opinions of others. Love yourself, God and remember that you are a child of a loving Heavenly Father. If you don't know that now, I hope and pray that you may come to learn that.

"May all your dots fall silently to the ground, for if given by man, they only matter to other men. When given the chance, pass out stars, drop the dots in the trash." -Max Lucado 

"And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him." -1 John 4:16

Here is a link to the full story where you can listen to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15QuHygLwFU

No comments:

Post a Comment