Apr 15, 2015

YOLO- You Only Lithuania Once

HELLO THERE! As some of you may know, I recently got accepted into the ILP volunteer abroad program where they send volunteers to six countries throughout the world, one which is to Vilnius, Lithuania to teach children English. Now you're probably having a couple thoughts, I'll get to those don't worry. Now let's get to answering your thoughts. 

Let's hit the first one you're probably having which is, what IS "ILP"? Well, ILP stands for International Language Program. They are a non-profit organization that started in Provo, Utah in 1992. They currently are based in Orem, Utah. They send volunteers to six countries throughout the world, one which is to Vilnius, Lithuania (hey that's where I'm going!!) to teach children English.  Their motto is to change the world, one child at a time. They believe that every child can make a difference and that every child deserves the chance to achieve their true potential. How awesome is that?! Awesome, I know. 


Now you're probably thinking... "but why did you choose to do this? You're not majoring in teaching are you?" No, I am not majoring in teaching. However, I have always believed in the potential and power that children have to change the world. With the right knowledge, skills, and resources, children have the opportunity to accomplish anything they set their minds to.  Unfortunately, not all children in this world are given that opportunity and that is why I have chosen to participate in the International Language Program (ILP) during Fall Semester of 2015. I have also always wanted to travel to another country, and I get to do that with this program at an extremely great price! Not only that but, I have always wanted to do some volunteer service and this is a great opportunity for me to give back, learn from the children, learn about myself and have fun volunteering abroad! 


Ok now you're probably thinking "Lithuan-what?! Where's that?!" Lithuania is a tiny country right below Lativa, above Poland and Belarus. It is so tiny and you really have to squint looking at it on a map! But I mean... look how beautiful it is:



Palanga

Neris River

Balsys Lake

Hill Crosses

Curonian Spit

Trakai Castle

Old Town, Vilnius

 I am excited for this amazing adventure and can't wait to share my journey getting there and my actual journey there with all of you! I am grateful for my parents for letting me apply to this program and for not only them but all of you for supporting me getting there! August needs to hurry and get here! 


xoxo,

1 comment: